Lake Tahoe Sunset
Yahoo! Avatars

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Pientroniro and Fitchter Article: Map Mashups and the Rise of Amateur Cartographers and Mapmakers

I must admit I did not know what map mashups were until I saw the push-pin map example in the article. I remember seeing a map mashup example on my cousin's MySpace page. Each push pin on the map represented the geographical location of one of his MySpace friends. When I hovered over a push pin a photo and other profile information would pop up. I also remember that it was pretty simple to add my information to the map. All I had to do was type in my address, type my name, and add a photo (which was optional) and immediately a push pin was created for my location.
Is there a future for map mashups in libraries? I pondered this question as I read the article and I believe the answer is yes. I imagine that map mashups can serve as directories in libraries. Very similar to phonebooks and directory databases, map mashups have the capability to provide location and description information at the same time. For instance, if a library customer wanted the phone numbers, addresses, and photographs of all the White Castle restaurants in the Twin Cities a map mashup could locate and list that information. Why someone would want to do that, I don't know but it could happen.

No comments:


Black Diamond Regional Park