Lake Tahoe Sunset
Yahoo! Avatars

Monday, June 9, 2008

Boyd Article:Viewing American class divisions through Facebook and MySpace .

WOW! Who knew that such interesting group dynamics were happening as a result of social networks like MySpace and Facebook. I had no idea that this type of division was being created amongst teenage users of these sites. I'm interested in knowing what type of results the library that I work at would report amongst our teen users. That may be a study worth taking a look at. What would the results mean? The MySpace users are the "bad" kids and the Facebook users are "good" kids?
I can't say that I'm completely shocked at Boyd's findings. The United States is well-known for its division of the "haves" and the "have-nots". This division is even more prevalent in the area of technology. Has the information gap gotten any smaller?
Where do libraries fit in the scheme of MySpace vs. Facebook? This maybe a good question to try and answer.
On a more personal note, I do have a MySpace and Facebook page. Recently, I've noticed that MySpace has acquired many of the same applications that are available on Facebook. Visually it is also taking on some of the characteristics of Facebook with the use of more white space on the the main page. I wonder if this is a direct result of what Boyd discusses in the article.

No comments:


Black Diamond Regional Park